Art In The Dark is an experiential workshop created by artist Katrin Terton in collaboration with blind art enthusiast Geoff Munck, who developed a unique technique that harnesses the power of language to enable both the blind and sighted to enjoy a comparable experience of visual culture.
This 3-hour workshop is designed for anyone with an interest in process-oriented, multi-sensory, expressive experiences. It affords the opportunity for a richer understanding of how we individually perceive and conceptualise our world. Participants will experience creative processes such as blind contour drawing, clay sculpting without sight and creative responses to sounds.
The workshop also incorporates a gallery walk, providing an audience experience of selected artworks “seen” through the eyes of those who are blind or sight-impaired.
WORKSHOP OUTLINE (2 hours)
• Introduction and overview
• Participant introductions
• Blind contour drawing (reverse conceptualisation using language)
• Drawing to music or soundscape (conceptualisation through sound)
• Sculpting without sight (conceptualisation through touch)
• Closing conversation
LUNCH (1 hour)
GALLERY WALK (1 hour)The gallery walk will apply aspects of the workshop, affording an audience experience of selected artworks through the eyes of the blind.
SATURDAY 28 NOVEMBER
WORKSHOP + TOUR
• DATE: Saturday 28 November
• TIME: 10am – 2pm
• COST: $65 (materials and lunch included)
• LOCATION: Art from the Margins, 136 Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley
Close proximity to accessible public transport - approximately 300 m from Fortitude Valley Train Station.
Other accessible and inclusive event
For bookings and information on specific access and transport.